Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston where on July 18, 1864 the transfer of the command of the Army of Tennessee was made to Gen. John B. Hood.


Location : Two markers in front of Mead Paper Company Production Plant - 950 West Marietta Street



Marker # 1


Georgia Historical Commission Marker 060-3 1953


Confederate Army Command Changed

Near here the command and tactics of the Confederate Army were changed July 18, 1864.

Gen. William Techumseh Sherman had been trying for months to force Gen. Joseph E. Johnston (Confederate General) to abandon delaying tactics and force overwhelming odds in open battle. Gen. John Bell Hood took command of the Confederate Army on the above date and daringly went out to meet the Union forces. Atlanta fell after bitter fighting. There are 55 original Confederate cannon balls in the adjacent U.D.C. marker.




Marker # 2 -a pyramid of 55 Confederate cannon balls on concrete base


United Daughters of the Confederacy Marker

Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston where on July 18, 1864 the transfer of the command of the Army of Tennessee was made to Gen. John B. Hood.

Atlanta Chapter

Restored by Mead Paper Co. 1953

Restored by Mead Containerboard 1996


Through the eyes of Sara Huff "My 80 Years in Atlanta" pages 19-20 who lived on the hill above Gen. Johnstons Headquarters and Marietta Street:

The roar of a big army in motion is different from other noises in that many sounds combine to make a big racket. Cavalry, infantry, artillery, noise of wagon trains, giving of commands by officers, cracking of whips by wagon drivers, stepping of thousands of men in unison, and the tramping of thousands of horses, and mules is like pandemonium let loose.

For two days we spent most of each day at the front gate looking and listening while 45,000 Confederate soldiers marched by on Marietta Street, just across the railroad and the valley from Huff House.

General Johnston came several days in advance of his army and established headquarters in the Dextor Niles home, within a quarter of a mile of our house. Mr. Niles had already rushed his 300 slaves to a far-away island market, sold them and returned to his former home in Boston, Massachuetts.

On the night of July 17, 1864, a great historical drama was staged at the general's headquarters. The soldiers, who were sitting with mother on her front porch, or strolling through the yards and gardens, had told mother that something extremely important was impending.

This occasion, known in history as "The Transfer," came right home to mother and me, out on our front porch. Mother, a lover of music, said that the music of the military bands on that brilliant moonlight night was the sweetest she ever heard. I, who stood by mother's chair, have always thought of that lovely moonlight night whenever I have heard music on a beautiful summer evening.

Pathos was furnished by the weeping and angry soldiers, as they strolled about mother's front yard, and told her and each other of the despair they felt on account of the approaching discharge of their idolized commander, General Joseph E. Johnston.

The music over the way became more lively, and mingled with strains of "Dixie" came the rhythmic sound of dancing feet. The wives and lady friends of some of the officers were visiting headquarters and, as is usual with army people, even if comes a Waterloo tomorrow, there is a sound of revelry by night.

At midnight when the old Atlanta watchman's voice rang out: "Twelve o'clock, and all's well!" the clear-hearing statesmen of the Southland heard the doombells ringing the death-knell of the Southern Confederacy.

Sara Huff's home & book

General Joseph E. Johnston, C.S.A. Joe Johnston-http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/1167/jo_main.html

Back to local Map

More background of Civil War activity -"The Campaign for Atlanta"